What Is Impella Connect?
Impella Connect enables health care professionals and Abiomed’s clinical support team to view the Automated Impella Controller screen through a secure website, allowing them to track, review, and share that information with the health care team from an internet-capable phone, tablet, or computer.
Why Impella Connect?
Impella Connect can provide real-time information to help improve patients' outcome. Besides the possibility for medical professionals to use the consoles to “visit” their patients from a distance, Impella Connect offers the additional chance that highly qualified employees in Abiomed´s Clinical Support staff can deliver better assistance 24/7 to medical professionals, providing technical evaluations of the Impella data and contributing to a cooperative pump management in real time. Impella Connect streamlines patient management and ensures access to clinical expertise. Learn more about the biggest advantages of Abiomed's cloud-based data platform.
hospitals in Europe are online already
- 1 in 6
hospitals using Impella Connect is a university center
languages are already part of Impella Connect
Streamlined Patient Management
Impella Connect streamlines the way patients can be managed from all locations. The technology provides direct, customizable notifications of Impella alarms and events and offers centralized dashboards which show the status of all current Impella cases. Impella Connect also supports when it comes to the efficient management of ICU resources with automatic notification of new Impella cases or clinical events.
Access to Clinical Expertise
Abiomed operates a 24/7 Clinical Support Center that responds to customer calls. Main topic of the calls are questions around device operation. Using Impella Connect allows Abiomed support to see, in a dataprotection compliant way, what the hospital staff are seeing. This leads to a higher level of assistance. In addition to live assistance provides the opportunity for hospital staff to review cases at any time, capturing information such as alerts, device settings, and recorded videos of the AIC screen.
Impella Connect Features
Improve Patient Care
Remote access to this information can improve patient care and outcomes for ICU patients.
Transmission through Hospital Network
The information is transmitted uni-directionally through the hospital network.
The information transmitted relates exclusively to the performance of the Impella pump, is only transmitted unidirectionally from the hospital network and is DSGVO-compliant, as no sensitive health data is transmitted.
In the future, data transfer instead of image transfer will become a requirement.
Impove Patient Management - Stay Connected
Abiomed AIC Impella Connect Data Flow
The purpose of Impella Connect is to provide a connection from the Abiomed AIC to a cloud-based website that can be accessed via an authorized login by Abiomed and hospital staff who only see data from their own institution. This connection is via an Ethernet or WLAN connection, so these connection types must be authorized by the hospital network. Within the hospital, the connection can be made from any location with a stable Ethernet or WLAN signal.
While supported by Abiomed AIC with Impella Connect installed, information can be accessed in near real-time. In addition, it can be recorded and stored on the same website for review at any time during the case. The system works by using a hardware-based device that captures the AIC's VGA output data and streams it via RTMP S to a cloud-based system over port 443. All connections are secured with TLS 1.2 256-bit encryption with certificates provided by Entrust.
Indications for Use EU
Impella Connect is intended to be used to enable remote patient monitoring by providing authorized users with passive viewing of the AIC’s display. This includes information on alarms and data useful for troubleshooting and managing Impella devices to aid in patient management. Impella Connect transfers the video stream from the AIC (via the VGA output) and data stored by the AIC to a cloud-based remote viewing portal. Communication between the AIC and Impella Connect is one-way (AIC to Impella Connect), and the streamed information is limited to Impella device operating parameters and alarm messages with no patient identifiable information. Impella Connect is powered directly by the AIC.
• The Impella Connect is not intended to provide real-time information for monitoring patient status on the AIC.
• During use of the Impella Connect, there will be a delay between when an image appears on the AIC screen and when it is displayed at a remote viewing location.
• The Impella Connect is not a source of patient alarms, nor is its use intended as a replacement for monitoring the AIC’s alarms.
• During use of Impella Connect, receipt of the displayed controller information is not confirmed by the AIC, nor is the delivery of the displayed AIC information to the authorized remote users guaranteed.
• Impella Connect is not designed for use during transport.
• When Impella Connect is configured to use the hospital’s secured Wi-Fi network, signal quality and strength is dependent on the hospital’s Wi-Fi.
• When Impella Connect is configured to use the hospital’s secured Wi-Fi network, connection may be lost in physical locations of low Wi-Fi signal.
• No modification of this equipment is permitted.
• Radiated and conducted electromagnetic interference can affect the performance of the Impella Connect, causing a temporary loss of connectivity. To clear interference, either increase the distance between system components and the EMI source or turn off the EMI source. Any electromagnetic interference related to the Impella Connect will have no impact on any of the AIC functional specifications.
• Portable and mobile RF communications equipment can affect medical electrical equipment.
• When in use, the Ethernet cables connecting the Impella Connect to the wall could represent a tripping hazard and should be placed where foot traffic is minimal.
• Keep excess cabling on the cable wrap when not needed.
• Disconnect, when in use, the Ethernet cables from the wall outlet before moving the AIC.
• Impella Connect is not interpretive.
• Impella Connect is not intended to control or interact with any drugs.